Friday, July 18, 2008

Dragon Holes


Saturday – 03 May 2008

Okay, so some of the most amazing things about Hong Kong are the dragon holes. The Chinese are very superstitious people and so they take certain precautions. Like constructing many of their buildings with huge holes in the middle of them to allow for the dragon’s safe passing through the building. Yup. I’m totally serious. We have one in our apartment complex and there are these holes in other buildings around Hong Kong. Usually they are in apartment complexes and not business buildings. I’m not sure what it is about a building that says it does or does not get a dragon hole. Let me tell you though, if I were a building, I would totally want to be a building with a dragon hole. I don’t want some fire-breathing dragon tearing down my beautiful structure! Haha

Dad and I went up the same Saturday as the dolphins and took pictures from our dragon hole. It was amazing. All eight of the towers of our complex are connected so you can walk from the dragon hole in our building – tower 9 – to the dragon hole in tower 1. The top picture is of the dragon hole opposite the dragon hole in our tower. Here are some pictures from the dragon holes.

1 comment:

Amanda Kristeen said...

Oh my goodness! You see, I'm reading your blog from back to front, so I didn't know there was more superstition to come. Those buildings remind me of Eragon and Flyte...apparently they can exist outside of books too. :) But just in case they're right and I'm wrong, if you see a dragon-take a picture for me please! ...I'm quite fascinated.