Friday, July 18, 2008

Sham Shui Po

I was feeling better by that Tuesday so I went with mom to pick up my new Chinese visa. Mom and I had decided that we would go to Sham Shui Po to pick up fabric for my quilt. Mom called her friend Sandy Lai to ask her directions to Sham Shui Po. As luck would have it Sandy was going to Sham Shui Po that day too and would give us a ride. When we got home I quickly showered and then we hopped on bus to meet up with Sandy and her driver, Ming. Ming dropped us off on this street lined with fabric. I didn't find anything spectacular that I wanted. So we kept going. We walked down street after street of shops: bead shops, jewel shops, button shops, ribbon shops. It was incredible.

And then we came to The Tent.

The Tent is what it sounds like. It's a tent. But a HUGE tent filled with row after row full of rolls of fabric. It's amazing. You think the fabric will never end...seriously. Of course it ends, you silly people who were actually thinking that the fabric tent went on for forever. But there really is a LOT of fabric.

I found some great fabric there: one for jeans, two different ones for skirts, and one for a dress. The skirt fabrics are amazing, but the dress fabric is superb. I think it's so great. It's so bright! My little sister calls it the "Fire Dress" - It's a fitting title.

2 comments:

Amanda Kristeen said...

Woohoo! That is so awesome. So does everyone in your family sew? P.S. I don't know if I've said this yet, but the pictures throughout your blog are AMAZING. It is so incredibly beautiful there I can hardly believe it. And the view from your window? Wow. :) Thank you so much for adding them! I love seeing all the awesome sights that you're seeing!

Abbyland said...

Really, Kaylee? 2008? Come...let's go. These people reading your blog deserve more than 2008. Don't cha think so?